Tomato rice is an ideal way to get more vegetables in your tummy. Hurray!
Because of it’s neutral flavours it goes well with many kitchens; Turkish (like this köfte), Italian, Mexican, Spanish, Indian..etc.
This tomato rice is easy and quick to prepare, cheap, healthy ánd has a great taste!
I often make this rice when I’m too lazy to do groceries; since you often have the ingredients laying around somewhere. It goes well with any kind of meats, an egg or cheese, and you can add any left-over vegetables and herbs.
For the Turkish, Greek or Morrocan kitchen you could add some mint. For Asian kitchens some curry powder and/or a red pepper, hot sauce or hot pepper paste and some cilantro/coriander.
I prefer to use a rice with a round grain; like a risotto rice.
Tomato riceCourse: SidedishCuisine: South Europe
An easy & tasty tomato rice that goes great as a sidedish or base for many dishes from many cuisines like Turkish, Italian, Indian, Greek , Spanish and Morrocan.
1 small onion or 1 scallion
1 garlic clove
2 big or 3 medium ripe tomatoes
130 gram/4,5 oz rice
400 ml/13,5 oz stock/broth
Pepper and salt to taste
- Finely chop the onion and garlic, and let them simmer in oil.
- Remove the seeds from the tomatoes, chop them up finely (or use a blender) and add them to the pan.
- Cook the tomatoes untill the are mushy. Add the rice and broth to the pan.
- Turn down the heat, cover the pan with a lid, and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Stir now and then.
- If you notice the fluids are absorbed, but the rice not done yet; add a few tablespoons of water. Let it simmer some more and repeat if needed.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste; and enjoy!
- For this recipe I use a non-stick pan.